2003年6月22日21:10:4(京港台时间) （星星生活专讯 记者捷克佳报导）多伦多又有两人死于SARS，令加拿大因SARS死亡的人数升至38人。
Two more SARS deaths bring Ontario toll to 38
FROM CANADIAN PRESS
Another two people have died from SARS in Toronto, but an American man’s death is not related to an apparent exported case from Toronto, Ontario’s commissioner of public health said today. Dr. Colin D’Cunha said in a release that the two victims were a 55-year-old man and an 81-year-old woman, both of whom had been ill for a long period of time. The number of casualties since the disease hit the province is now 38.
D’Cunha also said that a North Carolina man, who apparently contracted SARS while in Toronto, did not infect a co-worker who later became ill and died.
The man had visited a Toronto-area hospital in May, but showed no symptoms until returning home.
Health officials said last week it was doubtful the man had died from SARS, but Dick Thompson of the World Health Organization said it was important to have the death looked into.
“There’s always a concern about an export of a case and they have to be investigated,” Thompson said Sunday. “And wherever they come from, it is important to acknowledge that, because it says a lot about export controls.”
But he said the suspected export of SARS did not warrant a travel advisory then, and today’s announcements also have no impact on any WHO decisions.
The 36th Canadian SARS death, a 45-year-old man who was infected during Toronto’s second outbreak, had been announced on Friday.
Infections from the second outbreak appear to have tailed off; the most recent person to be added to the list of probable or suspect cases developed symptoms of the disease on June 12.
The disease has claimed around 800 lives worldwide since it first moved into the human population late last year in China.
As of Friday, a total of 307 people have recuperated and been discharged from hospital since SARS first hit Toronto in late February.
Further numbers were not released Sunday afternoon.